Monday, May 02, 2005

Red Flyer 2003 California Red Table Wine

Red FlyerAs I’ve mentioned, I’m often a sucker for an eye-catching label. But in this case, I would’ve probably walked on by had Grapevine not been doing tastings of Red Flyer on Saturday. The label was certainly eye-catching, but maybe just a bit too cheesy.

Somehow the name and the images don’t really go together in my opinion. When I think of a red flyer, I think of the old red Radio Flyer wagon I had as a kid. That just doesn’t go with the ‘War of the Worlds’ theme on the rest of the label.

Anyway, I generally wasn’t expecting much. But surprise, I really liked this! It’s a big fruit forward wine made up of Syrah, Mouvedre, Grenache, Carignan, and Clone X. Percentages apparently are proprietary. Balanced tannins and very pleasant hints of toasty oak. Their web site says this about Clone X: “Clone X, the secret ingredient, was smuggled from outer space in the hyperbolic chamber of one of the forward thinking grays.” Um, yeah.

The guy pouring the wine at GrapeVine says this comes from the folks at Hahn Estates. Click the label above though to go to the specially constructed Flashy web site for Red Flyer.

Price
$8.99.
Overall
I liked it a lot. For that price, I’ll likely go back for several more.

Technorati tag:

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had this the other night as well...surprisingly tasty. For the price it was wonderful.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger jason said...

If you liked this Red Flyer at $8.99 run to the nearest Trader Joe's now as and grab a case at $2.99! I am sure to go grab a few more bottles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis