Thursday, April 28, 2005

Orogeny 2002 Pinot Noir, My Daily Dose of Resveratrol

FourplayI was waiting in the repair shop yesterday for my car – one of my least favorite things to do – and the limited selection of reading material led me to leaf through a copy of Men’s Health magazine. In it was a very brief but interesting article that highlighted which wines contain the most resveratrol – the compound in red wines believed to be responsible for the health benefits in wine like helping to reduce cholesterol. The answer: Pinot Noir.

So now we have yet another reason to like Pinot Noir – it’s just plain good for you! The article I’ve linked to above says that Pinot Noir has as much as 40 times as much resveratrol as grapes such as merlot and cabernet sauvignon. It doesn’t appear that anyone really knows how much of the stuff is the right amount to make you any healthier but it seemed like a good enough reason to me to pop open some Pinot Noir last evening. Among the ones I had available was one I had tasted at Tuscany Market several weeks ago: the Orogeny Vineyards 2002 Sonoma County Green Valley Pinot Noir.

It’s a blend from four vineyards in the Green Valley, a subappelation of the Russian River Valley. Apparently the coldest part of the Russian River Valley. This is a velvety smooth fruity wine with layered tastes of berries and cherries, and a hint of oak and spice. Very nice lingering finish.

Technorati tag:

Price
About $25.
Overall
One of my favorites in recent memory. I’ll look for this one again and again.

1 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This wine is NOT to be missed! Amazing is an understatement, especially for the price. Burgundy meets Cali at an amazing price! Run to find it... You will not be disappointed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis