Saturday, April 30, 2005

Villabella Bardolino Superiore DOCG 2001

VillabellaI was starving this evening and it seemed like a pizza would really fit the bill. Tuscany Market up here in the NW Austin hinterlands makes some good pizzas and will open a bottle of whatever you buy in their wine cellar for no additional fee. Add in their nice patio and the awesome weather this afternoon and what more could we ask for? Some wine, of course.

We chose an Italian red wine to go along with a traditional Margarita pizza and a 4 cheese pizza.

VillabellaThis dry ruby red wine comes from the Bardolino area near Verona in northern Italy (highlighted to the left) and is a blend of Corvina (65%), Rondinella (15%), Cabernet (10%), and Merlot (10%). Aged for a year in oak barrels (Superiore).

Lots of black cherry fruit and toasty oak aromas and taste. Tannins are soft though a hint of peppery spiciness to save it from being otherwise forgettable.

It was a pleasant and enjoyable wine paired up with the pizza. Before the pizza arrived though, it wasn’t doing much for me. For the price, would have been nice to have a bit more complexity to it.

Price
About $16.
Overall
Good. Pleasant enough, but I’ll try something else with my next pizza.

Technorati tag:

3 Comments:

At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find a place beside Tuscany Market to buy this wine. Coincidentally enough, I live right down the street for Tuscany, and I had this wine recently.

I really enjoyed it because the lush fruit was reminscent of an Amarone at a fraction of the price.

Enjoyed your notes...

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger chas said...

Not at Grapevine Mkt? I haven't noticed it there either, but I wasn't specifically looking.

If you find something you really like at Tuscany, drop me an email. I'm always looking for good recommendations.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Robert Massarella said...

Hi. Love your blog. I'm from Texas also and recently started a wine blog. It is "www.texastastemaster.blogspot.com". Please check it out and let me know what you think. Maybe we can link to each other. Also, have some questions, being a newbie to blogging about how to display certain things. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis