Sunday, April 10, 2005

Notes on Ratings - Keep It Simple

I thought it would be worthwhile to elaborate a bit on the approach I’m taking to rate wines here. The short summary is in the sidebar to the right. The 100 point scale is used very widely to rate wines. That’s all fine and everything, and I find it useful, but I don’t find it all that useful to keep my own notes using that scale. First, I don’t believe I could really verbalize the distinction between an 89 and a 91, for example, and more importantly there’s a well established source already for making these kinds of scores and I have no reason or intention to argue with that score.

My approach is quite simple but I find it effective. For the most part, it’s simply Good, Better, Best:

Good. I find the wine to be drinkable and since I’ve opened the bottle I’ll surely have seconds at some point. If I’m drinking by the glass though, I might have another glass, but it’s just as likely I’ll move on to something else when I get the chance.
Better. I really like this wine. I’ll definitely have another glass and furthermore, I’ll make a note of it and seek this out at the store. I’ll likely remember it enough to recommend it to friends.
Best. This wine is awesome. Not only will I seek it out again, if money’s no object, I’ll buy a case of it. I’ll emphatically recommend it to friends.
Dumped. I didn’t really feel like finishing it. If I’ve opened a bottle, it’s likely it’ll end up down the drain.

4 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled upon your blog for the first time...very well done!

Love your rating system...so much more interesting than my current A-F system. Maybe I need to revisit mine!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger chas said...

Thanks. At some point I'd like to give a bit more depth to the idea, but it works for me for now.

 
At 5:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your system too. I'm still trying to figure out what I like best: www.catavino.net

My 5 grapes allowing for 1/2 grapes makes it a 10pt scale, which in some ways is easily translatable to a 100 pt scale, which I used to use often.

I think what I like about yours is what I wanted immediacy, "should I or should I not buy this wine"? The only thing I wonder about is wine that falls into the "glad I tried it, even a decent wine overall, but wouldn't buy it again" would that be a 1/2glass?

Sorry for the ramble but this problem I'm sure dog's many of us winebloggers...
-ryan

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger chas said...

Ryan, to your question, I'd probably lump that 'glad I tried it...' one you mentioned into my 1-glass rating. With only 4 choices, there ends up being a lot of variability within segments - especially since most wines end up as either a 1 or a 2. But, I find it simple and effective and account for the nuances in the notes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis