Sunday, November 06, 2005

Louis Bernard 2003 Cotes-du-Rhone-Villages

2003 Red Rhone

This wine has distinction of being the one I've disliked the most in recent memory. Lately it seems like many if not most of the wines I’ve posted about I give a 2–glass rating. This one really didn’t make the grade for me though and I dumped it.

The other distinction it has is the lamest shelf-talker. This wine was essentially only described as “pretty”. It was a useless posting and yet despite that, the buyer at this particular HEB grocery decided it was somehow worthy of highlighting. At $9, I thought I’d give it a try to see what was “pretty” about this wine.

With that kind of write-up, I was expecting at least the color to be attractive. But it was kind of a dull purple. The bottle was not corked. At least it didn’t seem to have that damp & musty smell, but it just had a flat taste to it. At best it had what I would characterize as the aroma and taste or an old box or old leather. Some leather on the nose is often a good thing, but in this case, it just didn’t work for me.

Price
About $9. HEB grocery.
Overall
old leather.

Technorati tag:

3 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have absolutly no clue.
Stick to Kendall Jackson.

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of agree with the "no clue" comment, though not that vehemently. This wine just has more of the "old world" sensibility - no oakiness. It did occur to me though when I was drinking it that this seems like it was made from decent fruit but without much care for process. Could have been better, but not bad....

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger chas said...

Well, I'm glad you at least had an opinion about the wine. :-)

In making such a one-side review of this particular wine, or any for that matter, I'm not surprised at all if/when people disagree with my point of view on it. That's just the nature of such things. Especially with a subject that is obviously based on one's personal tastes. But then that's largely the point here isn't it. I write here about what I like or dislike. To my taste, I found this to be something I disliked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis