Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Ca' del Solo Big House White - 2003 California White Wine

2003 Big House White

You’ll have to pardon the lack of posting lately. I’m in the midst of two transitions right now. First, I’ve been ending one job and now, starting another. If this weren’t enough change, I’m also moving to a new house and in the midst of packing. Oh, and did I mention the recent hard drive crash? What a pain that has been to resolve. This machine is only partially back to normal. Consequently, the opportunity to sit back and enjoy a nice glass of wine hasn’t been at the top of my ‘to-do’ list. And yet, what’s a decent meal without something from the vine to accompany it. So I’ve found time to try a few new things, just not that much time to capture my notes.

Until the last week, summer around here has simply refused to die. So I’ve been in the mood up until recently, in an echo of some summer tastings, to try out some more white wine. This one from Bonny Doon caught my eye. I’ve had occasion to try the Big House Red a couple times in the past. I’ll admit I haven’t been completely thrilled with it, but it had its moments so thought I would check out this white.

This wine is a blend of whites, with Sauv Blanc, French Colombard, Pinot Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Viognier listed on the label. The above web site will suggest there may yet be other grapes blended in there. Regardless, I found it to stand out mostly as a tart and herbal Sauvignon Blanc. It’s crisp and refreshing but my notes also took me as far as saying it had the aroma of fresh mown hay. Hmm, not sure I really like that. In fact, it was just a little more tart and citrusy acidic than I found suited me at the time. On another day and time, perhaps that would have been just the ticket.

Giving it only one ‘glass’ rating, but chances are, given the price point, I might grab a bottle again at some point to give it another whirl.

Price
About $10. HEB grocery.
Overall
 tart citrus & herbal aromas. Crisp & refreshing on a hot day, but otherwise a little more tart than I found pleasing.

Technorati tag:

2 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Just came across your blog and plan to read it regularly.

I've had the Big House White and didn't care for it (although I probably like Big House Red a little more than you do), but now I can't remember why. I should probably keep better notes :(

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger chas said...

Thanks Amy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis