Wednesday, October 05, 2005

WBW#14 - Pinot Noir: Olssens 2003 Jackson Barry from NZ

2003 Jackson Barry Pinot Noir

When I saw the theme for this month’s Wine Blogging Wednesday (#14) I immediately thought I’d try to find a Pinot Noir from the Cromwell/Bannockburn area in the Central Otago of New Zealand. In fact, one of my early posts to this blog was of that area and its wines. If you click the above link and check out the pictures, you’ll get a sense of the beauty of the area. 

There’s not a lot of NZ Pinot Noir that you can find here in the Austin area. And what you can find, is kind of expensive in my opinion. But, I sucked it up for the greater WBW community. In this case I found 3 wines but selected this one partly because of its Felton Road heritage, but also because it’s the first time I’ve seen this particular wine in the store.

This is a beautiful translucent red wine. Medium bodied, with a reasonably long finish. A bit of oak in the nose and a big taste of ripe cherries. 

The Olssens web site has lots of other good info on their wines. The 2003 wine I had apparently has been recently released because the site has notes on the ‘02.

Price
Central Market grocery for around $28
Overall
 very good representative of the Central Otago of New Zealand. Flavors of ripe cherries.

Technorati tag:

2 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favourite NZ Pinot. I've blogged about before after a friend brought it around to our house to watch a rugby game.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I just tried (and threw away) the most horrible Pinot Noir called "Dyed in the Wool" from New Zealand. Maybe this one will reaffirm my faith in New Zealand Pinot Noirs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis