Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Hook & Ladder "The Tillerman" 2003

2003 The Tillerman

I thought it appropriate that in contrast to what I found to be a distasteful aroma and taste of leather in the recently profiled Louis Bernard wine, I would happen on this wine from Hook & Ladder that also has some leather in the nose but in this case it was quite appealing.

This wine came from the ‘Interesting Reds’ section at Grapevine and is a blend of Cabernet Sauv, Cab Franc and Sangiovese. It had a very attractive reddish purple color to it. The bit of leather in the aroma was more akin to a new leather bag rather than the ‘old leather shoe’ I’d concluded about the other wine. Also in contrast to that other wine, this one was a big mouth full of juicy red fruit tastes. 

Price
About $14. Grapevine Market.
Overall
 ripe, juicy red fruits and a hint of new leather. Definite repeat buy.

Technorati tag:

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Robert Massarella said...

Hi. Just added comment to an older posting, but want to make sure you get this - really like your blog and I'm interested in doing a reciprocal link. My blog is "www.texastastemaster.blogspot.com" Please let me know what you think. Also, I have some tech questions about how you were able to display certain items. Thanks!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger chas said...

Bob, tried to reply to your posting but it doesn't include your email addr. Anyway, feel free to email me directly about your questions.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had this wine in a restaurant tonight. The bottle cost $48, which is typical of purchasing a bottle of wine in a restaurant in PA. We had it for a party, with a pure cabernet sauvignon. I sampled both, as I had ordered the wine, and thought that this wine was a very nice blend. It wasn't overpowering and had a nice mouth feel. It also had very little to no after taste and complimented the food quite nicely. It does have a slightly higher alcohol content than other wines, but that doesn't affect the flavor. A little pricey, but if I could find it for under $20 in the state store, it would be a great buy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis