Monday, May 16, 2005

Rock Rabbit 2004 Sauvignon Blanc

Perrin Cotes du RhoneLately it seems like I can’t walk into any of the usual places I buy wine here in NW Austin and not find Rock Rabbit wines on the shelf. This Sauvignon Blanc was being tasted at Grapevine Mkt a few weeks ago and I liked it well enough to stock one for a warm afternoon like today.

In an appeal to the apparent popularity of New Zealand style Sauvignon Blanc wines, their web site says “our Sauvignon Blanc is based on the New Zealand white wine style which offer everything not typically found in California wines -- Flavor, Style and Value.”

Hmm, ok why wouldn’t I just buy a NZ wine then? I guess the main reason in this case would primarily be price. This is maybe a couple bucks cheaper than most of the decent NZ Sauvignon Blancs I’ve had in recent memory. Well ok, there is something besides price - the taste isn’t quite the same either, it’s softer. If you’re looking for something not quite as tart and herbaceous as many NZ Sauv Blanc wines, then this one could be more for you. It’s got 6% Gewürztraminer and a very light flavor of lemons and peaches and maybe a hint of apricot.

Personally I like the tart, crisp grapefruity and green pepper tastes of the NZ wines so if I were looking for a Sauv Blanc under $15, I’d probably go back to something like the Saint Clair from NZ. Or under $20, get the Kim Crawford.

Price
About $10 (Austin)
Overall
 soft easy drinking summer wine with flavor of lemons and peaches.

Technorati tag:

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

Your notes here match mine. It's a softer style without the overdone grapefruit. Now I like grapefruit but only in the morning with some raw sugar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis