Friday, June 03, 2005

Orogeny - redo

In April, I had what I thought was a really outstanding Pinot Noir from Orogeny in California. Last night I had another bottle of the same wine, same vintage. But this time, the experience was completely different. Still very fruity, yes, but gone was my previously experienced layers of complexity that I had made a mental note of. Now I wish I’d made a note of what I had to eat with that other bottle. Clearly it was a good pairing.  Last night though, I had some pizza along with the wine. Just cheese, sauce, garlic and basil. And in fact, I had a bit of the wine before the pizza, so even on its own it wasn’t as impressive. Could it be that there’s that big a difference from one barrel to the next? No doubt, I still like this wine, but it certainly doesn’t have the wow factor the other one had.

3 Comments:

At 2:31 AM, Blogger Ryan M Scott said...

Could be the wine itself might be getting old. I had that experience with a Syrah that I tasted last year and then twice in the last two months. It lost it's fruit and got really earthy. So maybe that happened to you. Clos Mimi "Petite Rousse" Syrah 2002 What's the Final Verdict?

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger chas said...

That could be possible. But the time difference between having the two bottles (of the same vintage) was only a little over a month. Purchased on different occasions though.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger chas said...

Fatemeh, sorry to hear that. Hmm, maybe the first bottle I had of this wine was the exception to the rule for it. At $25 a bottle, I might not take another chance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis