Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Viña Borgia Campo De Borja 2003 Grenache

Vina Borgia

Somewhere along the way, I picked up something that I stored in the back of my mind that told me there were some good values to be had in Spanish wines. In this case, the price was right and the hype high, but I’m not sure I’d buy this one again. In fact, doubtful.

It was actually a bit of raving by a little shelf-talker at Whole Foods that got me interested in picking up this wine. There’s not much I can point to out there on the web about this particular wine. There’s a bit of a blurb about the 2001 at wineloverspage.com. But this is the 2003 so of course your mileage may vary.

This wine is 100% Garnacha, or rather, Grenache. It has a nice hearty, smokey nose, but personally, other than a nice light raspberry fruit taste, I found it to have very little complexity. True to the linked article above, it does make a nice “spaghetti wine” (in this case capellini with a red mushroom & green pepper sauce) but little more.

I’ve noticed in the past that the little write-ups that Whole Foods does for their stacks of wine generally rave more than they probably should. Consequently, I generally discount them more than those from other stores.

Price
About $7.99 (Austin) – and I think that is probably on the high end for this.
Overall
Simple, light fruit. 14% alcohol. In this case, I’ll keep looking for good values from Spain.

Technorati tag:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis