Friday, April 01, 2005

7 Deadly Zins - 2002 Zinfandel

7 Deadly ZinsI first had 7 Deadly Zins on a trip to Sacramento last year. I went to Sacramento for a jazz festival over the Memorial Day weekend and managed to stumble upon dinner one evening at a place called the Zinfandel Grill. This was about a year ago, but I assume it's still operating successfully there. The web site for it still comes up. This was a place stuck out in the Sacramento 'burbs some place but I found the food very good and just as importantly, they offered some interesting wine flights of some wines from some relatively nearby wineries. In particular, they offered a wine flight (3 very generous tastings) of Zinfandel wines - one of which was this wine from the Michael-David vineyards. Click the link above to read the description from the wine maker and other details about how the number 7 is relevant to the development of this wine. I really like this wine. Compared to the Bogle Zinfandel I've written about in an earlier 'blog post, I'd take this one over that one any day of the week.

After that dinner and wine flight, and given the geographical proximity, I made a point of spending the better part of a day traveling south of Sacramento an hour or so to Lodi California to check out some of the wineries in the Lodi appellation. The Lodi area turned out to have a number of really great wineries and it made for a great day of tasting.

I found this particular wine in the Austin area at the World Market store near Lakeline mall. In general, I haven't found it at the other typical places (NW HEB grocery, NW Whole Foods, Grapevine Market, Tuscany Market) I shop in
the Austin area. If there's any left when you get there, I recommend you grab a bottle. I rate it better than average.
Price
About $16.
Overall
Better than average

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis