Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Highfield Estate 2004 Sauvignon Blanc

Highfield EstateThe Wall Street Journal had an article about New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc wines this past Friday. It caught my eye because I'd traveled to New Zealand earlier this year. While I was there, I spent a couple days in the Marlborough region sampling some really great wines. Of those listed in the Wall Street Journal article, the only winery in their list that I visited was Highfield Estate. In fact, it was among my favorites that I tasted there. Light, refreshing, tart - but not too tart. Of the wineries I visited there, it was one of the few I found stocked here in the Austin area. If there's any left, you can find it at Central Market. The winery's tasting notes for the wine can be found here.

Also in my fridge awaiting a tasting are NZ Sauvignon Blancs from Kim Crawford and Saint Clair. I'll post here when I get around to enjoying a glass of those. The WSJ apparently really liked the Kim Crawford.

Had it been on the wine trail map they hand out all over the Marlborough region, I would likely have checked out the Kim Crawford winery. Unfortunately, it wasn't among those listed. I highly recommend visits to Highfield or Saint Clair. Both had very good wines and excellent restaurants. And, you can also climb the stairs of the tower at Highfield and get a great view of the vineyards of the Wairau River valley.

Price
About $16. Could have been more at Central Market, but it was less than $20.
Overall
Better than average

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis