Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Edmeades 2003 Mendocino County Zinfandel

Edmeades ZinfandelLet me say right off that I liked this wine, a lot. Last week I happened by this article by Lain Bradford in an online edition of a South Carolina newspaper, and it was a very positive review of this California wine. So surprise, surprise, when I actually happened to see one sitting there on the shelf at Grape Vine late last week. Actually, there were only two left and I took one of them. I should have taken both. Now I’ve got to go back!

I paired this wine with some take-out baby back ribs from my favorite local BBQ joint, Rudy’s. Mmm, some tasty ribs. But let me give you a tip: don’t bother with Rudy’s spicy BBQ sauce – or any spicy sauce for that matter. Yes, normally, I like it too. But I don’t believe the spiciness of Rudy’s sauce pairs all that well with the higher alcohol content (15%) of this wine. The result was a mouthful of fire. I guess if you like that sort of thing, then by all means, but I think if you take the ribs and wine as is, the combination is fantastic.

Technorati tag:

Price
$17.49 at Grape Vine (on sale), but shown as $16 on the Edmeades web site.
Overall
very good. Black cherries and toasted oak. Wonderful lingering finish. I’ll have seconds please, maybe thirds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis