Saturday, January 21, 2006

A Burgundy Tasting

I had the pleasure of going to a tasting/class of Burgundy wines the other night at Vino 100. Naturally I took a few notes to capture here. I was surprised though that there were so few people (about 10) at this, but I'm not sure whether they advertise these events other than on their web site. The place isn't big though, so I guess that's about what they can handle. This is the first of what I hope will be many visits for their tastings.

The great thing about this kind of tasting is you get to try several wines (in this case 6) that you wouldn't otherwise be all that likely to try, simply based on price. Or, at least I wouldn’t ordinarily shell out the kind of dough that some of these wines go for. Actually, it turned out that we tasted 7 wines because Nat, the Vino 100 guy that was leading us, brought out another wine at the end. Can’t believe I didn’t make a note of what it was though, other than “Meursault ‘02”.

While my notes are somewhat sparse, here's the list and notes on what I liked, in tasting order. (By the way, prices were revealed after the tasting.) I’ve included links below to the http://www.burgundywinecompany.com web site along with these. It’s an excellent web site with a wealth of interesting information.

Domaine Coste-Caumartin Bourgogne Blanc 2002
 This wine had a definite nose of honey, vanilla, apples and pears. Lightly oaked. An approachable wine and at $18 this was one of the better buys of the night.
Michel Colin-Deleger & Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 2001
 This is a crisply mineral wine that had a slightly yeasty nose. Liked it, but clearly I enjoyed the first one a bit better. Around $55.
Domain J.M. Boillot Puligny-Montrachet Primier Cru Les Combettes 2001
 This was an awesome wine – dwarfing the first two in my opinion. A pleasing nose of pears and oak with round and complex tastes and mouth feel that lingered long on the tongue. At $75 a little out of the “everyday” range. Save this one for a special occasion.
Hubert Lamy Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge 2003
 Notes of cherry, violets and rose water. Soft and not too structured. Just a very slight rubbery scent on the nose as well. Around $36.
Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 2002
 Some tart cherries, violets and spice with more structure than the previously tasted wine, but still, a light Pinot Noir. Around $50.
Olivier Laflaive Pommard 1999
 By comparison to the previous wine, much fuller, structured and heartier wine. Cherry sucker fruit taste along with cocoa and wonderful long finish. Around $58.

The price of the tasting was $40. Considering the price of wines, not a bad deal. A nice evening out and interesting people to chat with.

2 Comments:

At 2:16 AM, Blogger dominus91 said...

Really enjoyed reading your notes. My wine buddies and I have been exploring Burgundy in recent months, and organized an interesting tasting of the 2001 Gevrey Grand Crus. Tasting notes are posted on my blog. Pls drop in if you're interested. Cheers!

Jon

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger chas said...

Jon, thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

about | ratings images courtey of Jason Lewis